TripAdvisor conducts world’s largest hotel survey on the economy, booking trends, technology and more
TripAdvisor has conducted the world’s largest hotel survey in its biannual Industry Index poll of more than 25,000 hoteliers from around the world. The survey gauged their economic outlook; their plans to engage with guests through online, social, and mobile platforms; and their efforts to implement eco-friendly programs. Here is a sample of the global findings the mid-year survey uncovered:
Countries with the most positive outlook:
- It is a great time to look for a job in the hotel industry in India, Brazil and Thailand: They were the top three countries for hotel job creation from January-June 2012. The United Kingdom and France were at the bottom of the list.
- Looking ahead, 64% of hoteliers from around the world plan to keep their staff levels at their current state, while 15% say they plan to add new jobs.
Are you planning to increase or decrease your room rates during the second half of the year? Judging by our survey, inertia seems to play a big role in rate trends:
- 53% of respondents who decreased their rates to attract more guests from June-August have predicted that they will decrease their rates even further ahead of the Fall travel season.
- 60% of those who increased their rates from June-August will continue to do so in September and October.
According to our survey, property owners realize how important it is to market their business on social media networks:
- More than two-thirds of the respondents use at least one form of social media to help attract guests, with larger properties (50+ rooms) twice as likely to use social media compared to smaller properties.
- Most properties (83%) welcome feedback from their guests, and 78% encourage travelers to share their opinion via websites like TripAdvisor.
For a more in-depth look at the findings and how countries compare against one another, please check out our report here.