Sue Thompson opened the doors to Six Brunton Place in 2009 with no background in hospitality. As an architect by training, setting up her guest house was the easy part. Getting travelers in the door, however, proved challenging; she had neither experience nor an established professional network on which to rely. Fast forward three years, and Six Brunton Place is now thriving — and ranked #2 on TripAdvisor out of 437 Edinburgh B&Bs. Click below to watch Sue tell the story of her success:
With almost a billion users from around the world, Facebook is a great place to showcase your TripAdvisor reviews and awards, and spread the word about your property far and wide. Adding a TripAdvisor widget to your Facebook business page makes it easy for prospective and loyal guests to read your property’s reviews. The same TripAdvisor widget that goes on your website can also be used on your businesses’ Facebook page.
Since Facebook launched Timeline for business pages, the process for adding a widget has changed a little. We have created a new step-by-step guide on how to share your TripAdvisor reviews with your Facebook fans that factors in timeline-related changes.
See “How to add TripAdvisor content to your Facebook page” to start sharing your reviews on Facebook today!
A recent Nielsen study* confirms it: consumers around the world rely on online reviews. Seventy percent of survey respondents indicated they trust online consumer feedback more than branded websites, advertisements, or just about any other kind of endorsement. For that reason, asking past guests to write reviews is critical to continuing to pull in new guests.
A great way to ask your recent guests is to send a follow-up e-mail. However, attracting their attention – or even making it past the spam filters – can be difficult. Here are a few best practices for e-mailing your guests:
• Catch their attention right at the start: You only have a split second to entice them to open your e-mail. Make it relevant, personal and to the point.
• Choose your e-mail account wisely: Create an account with the property’s name or a familiar staff member so your guests will recognize whom the e-mail is from.
• Be direct, but polite: Let your guests know how much you appreciate their feedback and provide a direct link to your TripAdvisor listing. Visit your Management Center for a link that you can include in your e-mail.
• Say thank you: Even if your guests do not write a review, an e-mail is a great way show your appreciation, build a lasting relationship and let them know you look forward to welcoming them back again soon.
• Avoid the dreaded spam filter: Keep exclamation points and all capital letters to a minimum. Spam filters will pick up on these formatting styles and your e-mail will go unnoticed.
Click here to discover how hoteliers have encouraged reviews and why you should ask your guests to write them.
* Source: Nielsen’s “Consumer Trust in Online, Social and Mobile Advertising Grows”
If your business is listed on TripAdvisor, it is important for you to understand our incentives policy. While we encourage you to ask guests to write reviews, giving out incentives in exchange for reviews is against TripAdvisor’s policy.
Incentives are rewards or preferential treatment given in exchange for reviews. This can be in the form of drawings, raffles, discounts, special treatment (i.e. upgrades, coupons, free amenities, gifts), etc. We strictly prohibit incentives because they can impact the legitimacy of reviews; guests who receive incentives may be more likely to write reviews that don’t match their true experience.
TripAdvisor penalizes properties that offer incentives. All reviews in question are removed and further penalties, which range from a warning to a red badge on your property page, are given out on a case-by-case basis.
There are many acceptable ways to encourage reviews. To begin simply ask! Showing that you appreciate your guests’ feedback can go a long way.
For on and off-line tools to help remind guests, look no further than the Management Center. You can add widgets to your website or Facebook page, hand out reminder cards and much more!
Log in to your Management Center to access all of these helpful tools, and to contact TripAdvisor if you have any questions regarding incentives.
To read more about our incentives policy, see this guide.